So, my husband and I have been married for a little over a month now and here are a few things I’ve discovered during this time:
1) I love being able to wake up next to my best friend in the morning. I’m still getting used to it, but I absolutely love it. It’s comforting knowing that he’s the last person I see when I go to bed and the first person I see when I wake up. It’s like a continuous sleepover with my best friend.
2) Learning how to keep our dialog open is going to be tricky, but it will get easier in time. My husband is in law school and lives in our apartment in Atlanta while I stay and work at home two hours away. With that being said, there are moments when our dialog gets clogged, it’s usually our lack of proper communication regarding what we want or need from each other, but we are still learning how to talk through it.
3) Having patience not only with one another but also ourselves is a must. A recent example would be when we moved into our first place together. During all of the unpacking and cleaning we both would become rather snippy with each other at times. It’s understandable, it was late and unpacking can be tedious. Overall, by the end, we created a lot of fond memories together during the process.
4) It is hard to describe, but the support I get from my husband is indescribable. It ranges from encouragement with work to guidance in my faith. Sometimes when I’m really stressed it’s just helpful to hear his voice, you know? As far back as I can remember, he has always had the ability to say the exact thing I need to hear.
5) Cooking together is so much fun! Well, learning new things together in general. He is way better at cooking than I am, but my baking is better. Oh, I really enjoy reading together too! It is a lot of fun.
6) Going to mass and Eucharistic adoration together is still one of my favorite things to do as a couple. Sitting next to my husband in mass always puts me in a ridiculously good mood. When my husband is gone I usually sit alone unless I can find a friend to sit next to. Going to mass is something we have always done as a couple and it’s nice having that time to share our faith together. Also, spending time with Jesus and my helpmate in adoration never fails to make me smile.
7) Forgiveness is key. This can be really hard at times. I’ll be honest, there are times when my husband and I just annoy the hell out of each other. I mean, that comes naturally being around the same person all the time. We both entered into our marriage with our own individual quirks and oddities and I just need to remember that he’s not perfect and I’m far from perfect.
8) I have been praying for my husband long before our paths crossed and it’s still something I really enjoy doing. He needs it daily even if it is in the most simple way. Prayer is the most simple thing you can do for another person. God understands the needs of my husbands heart far better than I do.
9) Part time housewifery will take some getting used to. Since my husband and I live apart, I really like to cook and bake when I come home. Luckily, when it comes to house cleaning we divide it down the middle.
The adventure just never stops and it’s filled with interesting twists and turns. I can’t wait to see what the future holds!